Friday, April 8, 2011

Sapphire Bloom

This necklace’s story began at a thrift store, where I purchased the blue flower brooch. I knew an asymmetric design would work well with it. I then kept envisioning the smooth opaqueness of certain forms of vintage Lucite that I previously saw in passing. I searched on Etsy for vintage Lucite beads that I thought would go with the pin. I discovered this set of five and was pleased at how they work with the flower brooch.



I affixed the brooch to the chain using jump rings, and then did a little stringing to attach the Lucite beads. 


I knew that I wanted to use more modern elements of a chain to shake up the more romantic mood of the vintage Lucite. I took apart an existing chain and reworked it. I especially like the way a double chain works as counterpoint to the other design elements.


No comments:

Post a Comment