Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Religious Kitsch

Usually, I like to keep most of my blog content separate from what I write in my newsletter. However, today I am sharing a revised version of what I wrote in my latest newsletter, on the topic of religious kitsch.

I have to admit that I am very attracted to elements of kitsch like running Christmas lights, a fascination with theme parks and Americana, and the sometimes over-the-top designs of vintage jewelry.

One of my fellow Mary's Graces Team Members, Black Forest Rose creates some wonderful pieces like this. 
Not surprisingly (if you follow my blog), I especially love religious kitsch. Bold colors and altered religious images or sculptures captivate me!  I believe that what speaks to me most is the artist's passion and attempt to make the religious both more accessible and sacred through altering them.

A Wooden Icon created by one of my Mary's Graces Etsy team members,
The Woodwife's Wares.
I say this because, for me, the image or item becomes an obvious reflection of the act of creation as religious expression, while also bringing extra attention to the images with use of sparkle and color.

Are you attracted to kitschy elements in art?

3 comments:

  1. Wow Leigh thanks so much for including me in this post. I love color and sparkle and that adds to the fact that to me art is prayer and prayers can be colorful, reverent, devoted and all prayers sparkle!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the idea of all prayers sparkling, Donna. Karen, yes- a post just for you!!!

    ReplyDelete