Tuesday, December 20, 2011

My Love Affair with Miriam Haskell Jewlery

My work for Of Towers and Turrets continues. I have been slightly sidelined by back problems (again!). However, I should be back to painting and building my mixed media backgrounds tomorrow.
 
Some of my work. Don't these remind you of Sari fabric?
If you have been following my posts, you will know that I have been continuing to discern my jewelry-design style. One thing that I am certain of is my deep adoration for the designs of Miram Haskell. Actually, the designs have had five different designers from the 1920s until the present day. Haskell's business began in 1926 as a gift shop in the McAlphin Hotel in New York City.*

I just used a gift card toward the purchase of a book entitled, Miriam Haskell Jewelry by Cathy Gordon and Sheila Pamfiloff. What a feast for the eyes! I love the slightly over the top pairing of strongly colored beads with gold tone metals. Plus lots of sparkle to satisfy my need for bling.

The blue beads cascade over gold findings. This picture is from Miriam Haskell Jewelry.
Haskell's designs are extremely popular, and some original pieces fetch a lot of money in the present day market. The enduring demand for Haskell pieces is a reflection of strong style and technique. Of course, I think there is also a strong element of nostalgia to purchasing or viewing her jewelry- like afternoons spent looking through my Great Aunt or Grandmother's jewelry boxes.

_____________________________________
*Information on the History of Miriam Haskell Designs comes from Miriam Haskell Jewelry  by Cathy Gordon and Sheila Pamfiloff.

3 comments:

  1. Oh my I love those!! The colors are so wonderful together. Makes me want to create a rosary like it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is an appropriate workstation can make you both creativity and productivity. Glass bead jewelry making fine, but fun and enjoyable work, so that the design of your work, you will spend a lot of wonderful time.

    islamic prayer beads

    ReplyDelete
  3. Donna, that is a great idea! You should do it :)

    ReplyDelete